This article describes how to upgrade your System76 machine to Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat".
If you will be performing a standard upgrade, without doing a clean installation, we recommend that you wait a week or two before attempting to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10. This will allow the server activity to return to normal levels, and allow you to complete the upgrade faster. People wishing to perform a clean installation may proceed without waiting.
Upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
Upgrade your System76 driver
After upgrading your system, you must
- re-enable your System76 driver repository
- download/install the latest System76 driver
- run the System76 driver to upgrade your system's device drivers
Re-enable System76 driver repository
Go to System → Administration → Software Sources. Choose the Other Software tab and turn on the check box next to http://planet76.com/repositories/ ./
If that doesn't work, don't despair:
- install and run the System76 driver (next 2 steps)
- restart (3rd step below)
- then retry this step.
Download/install the latest System76 driver
Make sure to both
- download the latest version of the System76 driver from planet76: the latest version will be the second link from the bottom.
- note the location to which you download that driver.
After you download the driver, install it: either
- from the commandline, you can run dpkg explicitly with
sudo dpkg -i <where you downloaded/>e.g.
sudo dpkg -i /tmp/system76-driver-2.4.8.deb
- browse to where you downloaded in Nautilus (i.e. what you get from the Places menu) or other graphical file manager you use, and double-click on your download.
Run System76 Driver
After downloading the driver, go to System → Administration → System76 Driver. Click the Install Drivers tab, then click Install.
Reboot and you're all done!
Where to get help
Having trouble with your upgrade? We're here to help. Here are three ways to get assistance:
- Talk to us at Ubuntu forums: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=341
- File a bug report: https://launchpad.net/system76
- Send us an email: support (at) system76 (dot) com
Note for Netbooks
At this time, System76 does not officially support Maverick Meerkat on System76 Netbooks. For a more detailed explaination, please see our Facebook Page here.